Director, Green Budget Europe (32–38 hours per week)
About Green Budget Europe
Green Budget Europe (GBE) is a Europe-wide platform of experts which works to promote dialogue and deliver progress on Environmental Fiscal Reform on the international stage and at EU level, as well as within individual European countries. Achieving these reforms in a socially equitable way is central to our mission. We are convinced that ensuring real costs of products are reflected in prices via appropriate taxes is central to protecting the climate and environment, and making decisive progress on a low-carbon energy transition.
Our focus encompasses all market-based instruments (MBI) relating to environmental policy, including environmental taxation, reform of environmentally harmful subsidies, emissions trading, promotion of renewable energy and green public procurement.
To advance its agenda, GBE brings together representatives of business, international organisations, ministries, NGOs, political decision-makers, the research community and civil society; see www.green-budget.eu for further information.
Overview of the role
As the new GBE director you will be the organisation’s main spokesperson and representative, providing political direction, in charge of developing and implementing GBE’s strategy, annual workplans and budgets. You will strengthen GBE’s role as a central hub of knowledge, expertise and influence on environmental fiscal reform at both EU and national level. This will also include setting and achieving project and membership growth targets, and building GBE’s reputation as an effective advocacy organisation.
Your responsibilities will also cover governance of the organisation and day-to-day operations. This will include implementing and monitoring internal systems and procedures to the highest standard; these operational responsibilities cover the legal and financial governance of the organisation across all areas of its operation.
The GBE Director will be based in Brussels and coordinate all activities of GBE. He/she will report to the Board of Green Budget Europe.
The Director’s responsibilities will include:
- Strategy development and the implementation of advocacy activities, including regular reports to the board and to members
- Drawing up annual work plans and implementing them to the budget
- Representation of the organisation and its political positions vis-à-vis political decision-makers, the media, other organisations
- Acquisition of funding to ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- Proactively seeking to increase the number GBE members
- Financial oversight (together with the Treasurer and accountant)
- Personnel management and development of the GBE team, currently consisting of 4 staff members
- Doctorate or master’s degree in environmental economics or a related discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of market-based instruments for environmental policy
- Dynamic, highly motivated, with relevant management experience of minimum 2 years – preferably within NGOs, think tanks or other policy-related institutions
- Able to devise and deliver strategic plans on time and to budget
- Able to prioritise, work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills, experience of personnel management and the coordination of small teams
- Experience with political processes on both national and EU-levels
- A proven track record of working with government and building excellent relationships and networks with the media, and senior government officials
- Demonstrable experience of networking and working in partnership with a broad range of organisations and stakeholders
- Proven track record in fundraising
- English native equivalent and publication-standard written communications. Knowledge of other European languages is an advantage.
This will be initially a one-year contract which, after successful performance, can be turned into a permanent one.
In your cover letter please indicate your motivation to work for GBE, and your interest in this role, and outline why your skills, qualifications and experience make you a suitable candidate. Please pay particular attention to your track record in fundraising and securing projects. Please state, in the concluding lines, your earliest start date in the event your application is successful and your salary expectation.
Within your CV, please indicate your language proficiency (CEFR preferred). At the end of your CV, please include email addresses and phone numbers for at least two referees who GBE may contact.
Please include your full application in a single PDF document.
Please send your application to email@example.com, with “GBE Director 04/2017” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we kindly ask for your understanding that we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted.
The final date to submit an application is 1 May 2017 at 24:00 CET.
We intend to hold the interviews between 9 and 11 May 2017.